Sunday, August 2, 2009

Where Does The Summer Go???

Summer always goes by super fast but this one seems worse than usual. We have been so busy and have had so much going on. Preston is doing an engineering internship and taking summer classes and I am currently commuting to Salt Lake for work (which sucks...but hey, at least I have a job, right?). On top of that I was called as the Relief Society President in our ward and Preston is currently the acting Elder's Quorum President of our ward so needless to say we haven't had as much spare time as we would have liked this summer. Anyways here is a run-down of our summer so far.

Our very first garden is doing great. This is actually an old picture before everything grew in but we are so proud! It has been so nice eating fresh veggies from the garden whenever we want and it has cut down on the grocery bill. We grossly over-estimated how much we needed to plant and as a result we have a plethera (I love that word) of extra vegetables that we have to keep giving away so they don't go to waste.

As some of you may know, we got a new puppy at the beginning of July. His name is Tank and he is a yellow lab/golden retriever mix. He is about 3 months old now and he is so much fun! He is super smart and makes us laugh on a regular basis. He has already doubled in size since we got him and his paws are huge so I'm pretty sure he is going to end up being a pretty big dog, which we are excited about.
His ears are so huge for his little head still. When he lays on his back he looks like a bat. Sometimes we do this while he is sleeping.Speaking of sleeping, herein is the source of much of our laughter when it comes to Tank. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. I just didn't want to bore you with the 20 other pictures we have of him sleeping in odd positions.
So shortly after we got back from Europe we went to visit Preston's family in Wyoming, which was fun. A couple weeks later for the 4th of July his family came to our house and we all went camping. This is Saren, Aspen, Kelton and Holton on a paddle boat on Payson Lake.

These are my little brothers-in-law Kelton and Holton. They were fighting but we made them take a picture anyway. I love how Holton didn't even try to hide the anger. Cute kid.

The week after that was my birthday, as well as the week I found out my Provo office was closing down and I would have to start driving to Salt Lake. Preston was creative and made me a huge homemade birthday card, as well as a tres leches birthday cake. It was really good! The week after that my dear Uncle Pat came into town to visit us and we had a great time with him. I love him so much! He is battling cancer right now and I don't get to see him much so I was really glad he came out.

A week after that was Pioneer Day and we both had it off work so we decided to do something fun. We were originally going to go to Aspen for the weekend but decided we had too much to do here so opted to stay in Park City for the night and try out some local fun. I have to admit I thought Park City was overrated. I mean, it's cool...but nothing compared to some of my favorite Colorado mountain towns. (P.S. I was told recently that I am coming dangerously close to crossing the line of becoming like a Californian in the way I view my state as superior to all others. I promptly informed them without shame that I crossed that line a long time ago and that Colorado is in fact superior to all other places. ) Anyways, I'm sure there are fun things to do if you feel like spending a lot of money, which we didn't. We walked main street, went out to dinner and rode the scenic chair lift ride.
One of the reasons we stayed at the hotel we did was that we found a package deal for a one night stay and 18 holes of golf at the Homestead golf course in Midway. We haven't played golf once this summer so we were super excited. It was our first time ever playing a whole 18 holes on a real course with a golf cart and everything. We stopped keeping score after like the 4th hole because we were both so out of practice it was useless! We had a great time though!! We are considering making golf one of our hobbies in the future.All in all it has been a fun summer. I wish we had more time to do fun things before it ends but oh well. We are actually going to Colorado this weekend to visit my family so that will be fun. Hopefully we can squeeze in another camping trip or two as well. Oh yeah, and Aspen, Preston's sister just moved into our basement. Hopefully she can stand living with a boring married couple! Well, that just about sums it up. I'll try not to take another 2 months to write again!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Seriously...what a busy summer! Sounds like tons of fun though! And RS prez...wow girl!!! :) Can't wait to see you!!!

The Allred's said...

I love all the new photos! Sounds like life is crazy! i cant wait to see you this weekend! miss you and love you

Shelli Snyder said...

Wow, that was one packed post. I hadn't even realized it was your birthday! What a lousy friend. Sorry. :) We should get together sometime in the very near future.