Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lucky In Love

So I realize that several of my more recent blogs have contained apologies for un-intended mushiness/sappiness, as if it's a rare thing for me. Well, I'm throwing in the towel...raising the white flag. I give up. Once upon a time I took pride in the fact that I was completely devoid of all feeling and/or emotion. Apparently in my old age I am becoming a mushy, sappy person. I'm not exactly sure when or how this happened and I'm still a little embarassed about it, but I think it's about time I come to terms with it.

On that note, I've been thinking a lot lately about how lucky I am to have married such a great guy. I know, I know, we've only been married a little over a year...but I never realized how much I was missing when I was single. I had myself convinced that I was this super independent, strong-minded woman who didn't need help from anyone, let alone some stupid boy. I was so wrong. It has been so nice to have someone to lean on, someone to face things with, someone to work next to, someone to complain to when I'm frustrated or have had a bad day. (And someone who will kill giant spiders for me!) What's even nicer is being with someone who is so willing and happy to do those things for me.

With how busy everything is and especially with my longer commute from work, I rarely feel like making a real meal. He patiently comes home from work and helps me with dinner or just makes it for me. When I hit the snooze button a few too many times (which is pretty much every morning), he makes me breakfast AND packs me a lunch, even though he himself has to go to work as well. He does the laundry more than I ever do and if it weren't for him our yard would never get watered. He compliments me often and is so supportive of everything going on in my life. And even in the midst of his own busy-ness and everything he does for me, he never fails to say yes when someone else needs help. He is selfless and kind. He really is amazing.

When I stop and think about how much he does for me and how much he sacrifices for me, it really makes me realize how much I need to improve and how much harder I need to be striving to develop those Christlike attributes and qualities that seem to come so naturally to him.

In short, I am really grateful to Preston for everything he teaches me and does for me and especially for putting up with me. I now realize that boys really aren't so bad to have around after all. :)

5 comments:

Danielle Smith said...

I am glad to hear that you cry every now and again! It's about time! What wonderful husband you have! Can I borrow him for a bit, while my husband has to work so much?

Shelli Snyder said...

You guys are great. Way to be an awesome husband, Preston. And Amber, you're a pretty stellar wife too. :)

Michele said...

I'm sorry to break it to ya, but you were WAY sappy when you guys were just dating! That said, he really is a great guy and even though he came from a traditional family he still knows the value of if mama ain't happy ain't no one happy :) Good man! And just so you know, you sound like a total slacker! LOL Love you!

Kyle and Serene Hardy said...

That is pretty mushy but it is great that you both serve eachother and recognize it! That is the way to keep a marriage strong and eternal. So cute!!!

Unknown said...

I think you are still really strong, but now you are even stronger because you do have someone to grow with. That's really awesome. I'm so happy you are happy. And as usual, Michele's comment makes me laugh at all of you. :)