Monday, August 8, 2011

About a boy...

I don't know how the heck this happened already but Cohen somehow turned ONE last week.  Man, time really does fly, doesn't it?  It's such a bittersweet thing.  I LOVE the phase he is in right now and how interactive he is and how fun he is to play with, but it's so sad at the same time that he is not my tiny, innocent, helpless little baby anymore.  I guess maybe this is why people start to get baby hungry about this time.  I'm not quite there yet, in case you are wondering.  :)  We didn't do anything super exciting for Cohen's birthday. First of all, we don't have any friends here yet and our family is all so far away, it makes for a pretty small party.  Preston's sister, Aspen came over from Midland for the weekend to celebrate it with us so at least we had someone here!  I really wanted it to be a fun, special day for him but let's face it..the kid has the attention span of a gnat.  Nothing amuses him for more than 20 minutes, and even that's only if it's really great.  So really all we did was take him to one of the local splash pads and let him run around in the water.  It always takes him a couple of minutes but he soon loves it.  I made him a little dog cake, which is another story in and of itself.  (I totally screwed up the frosting.  How do you even screw up frosting for Pete's sake??  I have serious cooking/baking issues.)  Then we opened presents, which he totally could have cared less about.  And on top of it all, I came down with a dazzling case of food poisoning that left me totally worthless for most of the evening.  It wasn't exactly the super special day I had in mind but luckily for me, I don't think he cared one bit.  Here are some pictures of his birthday:










So here are some bits and pieces about our cute boy:
  • He learned how to walk at 10 months but still chooses to crawl most of the time.
  • He now gives kisses, which I LOVE.
  • He doesn't give Preston kisses very often but instead he gives him "head-bonks" which I think is his way of showing affection for his dad.  :)
  • He knows exactly what "no" means and he will stop what he's doing when you say it.  BUT then he will look at you with a mischievous grin and stare at you while he continues doing whatever you told him not to do anymore.  Little stinker.
  • He definitely has the feisty stubbornness of a red head.
  • His hair is actually starting to turn dark in the back so I'm not sure he is going to keep the red that we love so much.
  • He doesn't stand behind his push toys and push them, he stands next to them and drags them along behind him.
  • The boy loves to eat.  And if you don't get food to him fast enough, watch out.
  • He loves to stuff as much food as humanly possible in his mouth when he eats.
  • He loves baths, especially bubble baths.  He kisses the bubbles and it's so cute.
  • He doesn't say any words yet but he responds to yes and no questions with grunts.
  • He loves Tank.  Loves to pull on Tank's ears (good thing Tank is patient), loves to eat Tank's dog food (gross!), loves to push Tank's dog food dish around the kitchen getting food and water everywhere, loves to give Tank his toys that I'm constantly trying to tell Tank he isn't allowed to have, and loves to feed Tank from his high chair.
  • He is a total daddy's boy.  In the evening I can tell him that daddy will be home soon and he immediately looks towards the door and gets all excited.
  • He finally learned how to drink out of a straw.
  • He already has eleven teeth!
  • He randomly just started bear crawling for some reason.
  • He LOVES being chased around and squeals and laughs the whole time.  It's his favorite game.
  • He could care less about most of his toys but he loves his little cars and always has one in his hand.
  • He is stubborn but super sweet and overall a really great kid.
  • We honest to goodness cannot take him anywhere without getting 500 compliments on him and I love it.  :)
We love this little boy sooo much and can't imagine life without him.  We are so lucky to be his parents.  :)






















And to reminisce:






I honestly can't even believe it's the same kid, can you?


1 comment:

The Allen Family said...

I miss you guys so much! He is so cute and I wish we could have celebrated with you :(