Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pink

Most of you who know me know that I don't own very many pink or purple things.  Especially clothes.  Especially clothes that I actually wear.  Preston sometimes mocks me because the majority of clothes that I wear are black or brown (which is true) and that I need to add some color to my wardrobe.  I had to dress professionally for 8 years so of course most of my clothes are dark.  And now that I'm not working, I don't want to spend money buying a bunch of new, non-professional, bright colored clothes.  So now that I'm learning how to sew, I thought I would experiment a little.  I have a whole bunch of shirts, skirts and dresses that are either too big or too small and never get worn so I decided maybe it's time for me to learn how to alter or "re-purpose" some of them.  I have a very pink dress that was given to me by my lovely friend Rebekah that needed to be taken in a little so in the spirit of trying to "brighten" my wardrobe, I decided to give it a shot. 

This is what it looked like before:  (PS. there's no way you will catch me modeling these in pictures so you will just have to imagine what they look like on real people).


I needed to add some length to it too so I found this pink polka dot shirt in my closet (which I also never wore) and cut it up to add it to the dress.  The pinks matched perfectly.  I also added some black trim to the bottom and a black flower up top and this is what I ended up with:


Sorry for the ultra bright picture.  Oh and ps I'm not even close to being that skinny.  I just tied the ribbon tighter around the middle so I could pretend for a minute that I don't still have a hundred million pounds to lose.  :)  Anyways, if you could see it up close you would totally laugh because there are so many parts where I screwed up and it is visibly obvious but I was too lazy to fix it.  Come to think of it, I'm too lazy to fix a lot of things.  I should work on that.  Anyways, all in all, I'm pretty proud of myself for how it turned out considering it was my first time EVER attempting to do anything involving a needle and thread and clothing.  Now the hard part will be convincing myself to wear something bright pink with pink polka dots and a flower.  :)